Part 4 of 4 in a series about putting genuine innovation to work
While ActionCue® Clinical Intelligence has consistently demonstrated immediate to short-term benefits in the hospitals using it, a natural resistance to change can still keep hospital leaders from contemplating implementation. There are strategic benefits connected to ActionCue that should easily tip the scale in favor of taking action to deploy the system.
- The change from periodic to real-time access to insight. The management and communication process for improving patient care quality and safety is redefined simply by using the ActionCue application. No more high-stress preparation and review of voluminous data on a periodic schedule is required to gain the insight needed to drive quality and safety. With ActionCue, whenever a question or management need arises, real-time insight is just a few clicks away. The strategic significance is in the shift to continuous, collaborative, on-demand insight, enabling the whole clinical and management team to finally accomplish what they have been striving for.
- ActionCue allows executive focus to expand to other aims. Care quality and safety for patients are fundamental to all of the clinical, operational and financial objectives of a hospital or group. ActionCue is a key component in managing and improving these two aspects of the operation, resulting in more effectiveness and efficiency on an ongoing basis. With this important portion of operations set on track, the other aims of the executive team can receive more attention.
- The staff becomes a full-time learning organization. ActionCue is a feedback vehicle that greatly impacts organizational dynamics and the staff’s motivation to learn. The trending of measures and the facts and circumstances of events and improvement activities are not simply “shipped out” for others to study, but are made readily available and extremely easy to comprehend, allowing informed decisions and actions.
- Best practices are built in to the system. Great things have been done in healthcare by applying various quality improvement methodologies. However, most of these require involved and sometimes quite costly education of the staff. The structure, design and workflows of ActionCue embody the fundamental elements that are common to all the leading quality improvement methodologies; the users therefore use best practices just by using the application. This saves a lot of time on an immediate and ongoing basis and eliminates a significant portion of an organization’s annual training expense to keep staff up to speed on a special methodology.
- The organization has an “automatic” culture of quality. It is not uncommon for hospital leaders to roll out big initiatives focused on creating a culture of quality. It is also not uncommon for such initiatives to fade over time, with no lasting effect. ActionCue, with its incorporated quality improvement methodology, its efficiency and ease-of-use, and its feedback on organizational performance, naturally and automatically facilitates a shift toward the sought-after culture. Management’s very apparent involvement in improvement efforts through ActionCue further sustains and strengthens this cultural shift.
- ActionCue achieves good return on investment. On the whole, ActionCue Clinical Intelligence pays for itself several times over. The system provides help on both sides of the Pay for Performance system. The application has a proven track record in reducing the occurrence of complications and adverse incidents and their associated costs, for which hospitals are not reimbursed. In this longer-term view, the performance metrics presented via ActionCue are improved through the learning it enables. Overall performance improvement reduces the likelihood of reimbursement penalties for poor clinical performance – and our clients’ experience has documented that. The use of ActionCue has even lowered the incidental and systematic concerns about litigation which hospitals do monetize, including lowered insurance premiums.
Since ActionCue application went to market in 2011, it has maintained 100% customer retention. With implementation of ActionCue and the most attentive, responsive and experienced customer support team in the industry (they’re all seasoned nurses), you may find a place that you, too, will never want to leave.
Part 1: Genuine Innovation
Part 2: Key Innovations
Part 3: Turning Innovation into Benefits